Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Indulge in delicious saffron shrimp and provençal vegetables with the perfect combo of eggplant, fennel, tomato, and saffron—a mix common to Mediterranean and Provençal cuisines—delivers fresh flavor and myriad nutrients. The shrimp add satiating protein.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, warm 1 tbsp olive oil. Add shallots and scallions; cook until soft, 1 minute. Add eggplant and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add fennel and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add saffron, salt, and pepper; reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until veggie mixture has stewlike consistency, 15 minutes. Add chopped nasturtiums, parsley, and sugar; cook 5 minutes.
- In medium skillet over medium-high heat, warm remaining 1 tbsp oil. Add shrimp and cook, flipping once, until they turn pinkish and are no longer translucent, 4 minutes.
- Divide shrimp and veggies among 4 plates. Garnish with flowers. Serve hot.
See also Provençal Vegetable Medley
- Serving Size 4
- Calories 219
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g