A refreshing salad full with fennel bulb, baby arugula, Valencia orange slices, red onion, and candied pecans.
- 1/2 cupServings
- 1/2 cup pecans, halved and quartered
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, halved and thinly sliced (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups baby arugula leaves
- 3 small Valencia oranges, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
To make Candied Pecans: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss pecans with maple syrup in small bowl. Add sugar, salt, and cayenne; toss to coat. Spread nuts on small baking sheet, and roast 10 minutes, or until crispy and aromatic. Cool 10 minutes.
To make Salad: Whisk together oil and vinegar in salad bowl. In another bowl, toss together fennel, arugula, orange slices, and onion. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Add salad mixture to vinaigrette, and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Candied Pecans.
Recipe published in the November 2011 issue of Vegetarian Times.
- Calories: 176
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 216 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g