If you prefer a spicier dish, add a minced fresh hot chili when adding the bell peppers.
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 lb. soy Italian "sausage" links, cut into thirds
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 6 medium bell peppers (3 each green and red, or 2 each green, red and yellow),
- cut into long strips
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp. dried
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 6 small hero rolls, split
- Drain tomatoes, reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Set aside.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add "sausage" pieces and cook, turning often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in bell peppers and garlic. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, reserved tomato liquid, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper and sugar until well combined. Cover and cook until flavors have blended, about 5 minutes. Spoon into hero rolls and serve open-faced.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 456
- Carbohydrate Content: 77 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 161 mg