This baked pasta dish is easy and comforting, as well as healthful and low-fat.
- 2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into large pieces
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. dry, wide or medium egg noodles (6 cups)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups 1% fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream or plain low-fat yogurt
- 5 scallions (white and light green parts), chopped
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh dill
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Preheat oven to 325F. Coat 8-inch square or other 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle with lemon peel and set aside.
- In food processor, process bread until coarse crumbs form. Add oil and pulse until blended. Set aside.
- Add noodles to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring often, until barely tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water until completely cool, then drain again. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs. Add cottage cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper to taste; whisk until blended. Add scallions, parsley, dill and reserved noodles; mix with rubber spatula. Scrape into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with reserved bread crumb mixture. (Kugel can be made ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours. Bring to room temperature before baking.)
- Bake kugel, uncovered, until lightly browned and set, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 183
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Cholesterol Content: 96 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 355 mg