Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This baked pasta dish is easy and comforting, as well as healthful and low-fat.
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Preheat oven to 325F. Coat 8-inch square or other 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle with lemon peel and set aside.
- In food processor, process bread until coarse crumbs form. Add oil and pulse until blended. Set aside.
- Add noodles to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring often, until barely tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water until completely cool, then drain again. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs. Add cottage cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper to taste; whisk until blended. Add scallions, parsley, dill and reserved noodles; mix with rubber spatula. Scrape into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with reserved bread crumb mixture. (Kugel can be made ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours. Bring to room temperature before baking.)
- Bake kugel, uncovered, until lightly browned and set, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 183
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 96 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 355 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g