This bread pudding makes a great dish for entertaining, especially when served in individual custard cups or small crocks. It can be served hot or warm. Although we call for sharp cheddar, feel free to use other types of cheese.
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 9 slices fresh white sandwich bread
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- In large skillet, melt butter with oil over medium heat. Add onion, sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue cooking, stirring often, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Oil or butter 6 large custard cups or small crocks of about 1-cup capacity.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, thyme, remaining salt and pepper to taste. Trim crusts from bread and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Fill each cup one-third of the way with bread. Sprinkle with some cheese, then add a little onion. Repeat layering—bread, cheese, onion—until cups are nearly filled. Ladle egg mixture over bread, dividing equally. Press down on bread, if necessary, to submerge. Top with a spoonful of milk, if necessary, to cover completely. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and bring small pot of water to a boil.
- In shallow baking pan large enough to hold cups in single layer, pour enough boiling water to fill by about one-third. Arrange cups in pan, leaving a little space between them. Cover loosely with tented foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake until puddings have risen and a knife inserted into center shows no trace of uncooked egg. Remove cups from water and transfer to wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 271
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 185 mg
- Fat Content: 20 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 278 mg