Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These flaky rolls are perfect bake-and-slice appetizers. Adding a little lemon juice to the soymilk creates a delicious vegan alternative to buttermilk.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To make Filling: Heat oil and crushed red pepper in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes. Add “sausage,” breaking it up, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes, or until “sausage” is lightly browned. Add spinach, dry sherry, chopped thyme leaves and salt. Reduce heat to low, and cook 5 minutes. Remove mixture from heat, and let cool.
- To make Dough: Combine soymilk, lemon juice and olive oil in small container; set aside. Put flour, baking powder and salt into food processor, and process to mix. Add tofu and brown rice syrup, and process again to mix. With motor running, add soymilk mixture through feed tube, and process until well blended, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured work surface. Lightly oil hands, and knead dough 3 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces.
- Roll one piece of dough into 14×6-inch rectangle—dough should be about 1/8-inch thick. Spoon half of filling, about 1 3/4 cups, lengthwise over dough, leaving 1-inch border at short ends, and 1 1/2-inch borders on each long side. Fold long sides of dough up and over filling, overlapping slightly to form long roll. Transfer roll, seam side down, onto large baking sheet. Tuck each end under to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining dough and filling, placing second roll on baking sheet.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until lightly golden on bottom and top. Transfer rolls onto wire racks, and let cool slightly. Before serving, cut each roll into 12 slices. Rolls can be served warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 270
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 710 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g