Use these soybeans for the Italian Meatball Sandwich on p. 43. Because they have to soak for several hours be sure to start these the night before or early in the day.
- 1 cup dried soybeans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Place beans in large pot and cover with about 4 cups water. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let soak at least 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain soaking water and place rinsed beans in large pot with bay leaf. Add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and skim off surface foam. Cover and simmer, adding water as needed to keep beans covered, until beans are tender, about 21/2 hours. Discard bay leaf.
- In small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, 1 minute. Add sautéed garlic, tamari, paprika, salt and pepper to beans and stir well. Bring beans to room temperature and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serving Size: About 2 Cups