If you prefer, combine the cooked macaroni and sauce in a casserole dish and bake at 400°F until the top is golden brown and crusty, 20 to 30 minutes.
- 2 oz. dried elbow macaroni or other short pasta (3 cups)
- 12.3-oz. pkg. soft silken tofu
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed shredded cheddar cheese or cheddar-American blend (6 oz.)
- 2 Tbs. natural margarine, soy margarine or whipped butter
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add macaroni; stir to prevent sticking. Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in food processor or blender, puree tofu until completely smooth. Transfer to medium saucepan and add cheese and margarine. Place over low heat and slowly bring to a gentle simmer, stirring often. Cook until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine cooked macaroni and cheese sauce and stir to blend. Season with salt to taste and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 6 kid-size servings
- Calories: 374
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Cholesterol Content: 30 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 244 mg