Based on the Dutch-style pancake that is baked in the oven, this is a super-easy and delicious way to make a pancake to serve straight from the pan. This recipe is packed full of nutritious seeds and served with fresh berries and a delicious cocoa sauce for a truly indulgent but power-packed breakfast.
- 50 g/generous 1/3 cup plain/all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 150 ml/2/3 cup milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons runny honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons mixed seeds such as linseeds/flaxseeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons raw cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons runny honey
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 150 g/3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 50 g/1 3/4 oz. dried berries, such as goji, acai, cranberries, etc
- 100 g/3 1/2 oz. mixed fresh berries such as blueberries, raspberries, redcurrants, etc.
- icing/confectioners' sugar
- 22-cm/9-inch overproof frying pan/skillet
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas 6.
To make the pancakes, sift the plain/all-purpose ﬂ our, coconut ﬂour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Combine the milk, eggs, honey and vanilla in a separate bowl and beat into the ﬂours to make a smooth batter. Fold in the mixed seeds.
Heat the coconut oil in the ovenproof frying pan/skillet until melted. Pour in the pancake batter and transfer to the oven. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until the pancake is puffed up and golden.
Meanwhile, make the cocoa sauce. Place all the ingredients with 4 tablespoons water in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until smooth. Keep warm.
As soon as the pancake is cooked, remove it from the oven. Spoon the yogurt into the center and top with the dried and fresh berries. Drizzle over the cocoa sauce and serve dusted with icing/confectioners’ sugar.
Excerpted from The Flexitarian Cookbook: Adaptable Recipes for Part-Time Vegetarians and Vegans compiled by Julia Charles. Ryland, Peters & Small, 2019. Reprinted with permission.