When you’re craving pasta, go for soba noodles. Made from buckwheat, they supply more protein than other grains, as well as magnesium to support a healthy nervous system. To avoid a gluey texture, cook the noodles until just soft, chill quickly in cold water, then drain. Soba paired with sesame dressing is a classic, and it’s a delicious vehicle for your green veggies and herbs.
- 1 package (9.5 oz) buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced fresh ginger 1 tsp minced garlic (about 1 clove)
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 1/2 tbsp tamari, divided
- 3 tbsp plus 2 tsp toasted sesame oil, divided
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp mirin
- 2 cups thinly sliced asparagus, cut diagonally
- 2 cups loosely packed, shredded baby bok choy
- 2 cups loosely packed, shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup thinly sliced English cucumber
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions, whites and greens
- 1/3 cup finely chopped, firmly packed cilantro
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 cup shelled raw edamame (optional)
- Juice of half a lime
- 1/4 cup julienned nori sheets (optional)
- Cook soba noodles as directed on package, except drain 1–2 minutes early for the best texture. Rinse, soak for a few minutes in cold water, then drain again.
- In a blender on high speed, blast ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes (if desired), 3 tbsp tamari, 3 tbsp sesame oil, rice vinegar, and mirin until solid ingredients are completely pulverized, 30–60 seconds.
- In a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat, warm remaining 2 tsp sesame oil. Add asparagus, bok choy, Brussels sprouts, and remaining 1½ tbsp tamari, and sauté until vegetables are soft and wilted, 1–2 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, toss soba noodles with sesame dressing, cooked vegetables, cucumber, scallions, cilantro, sesame seeds, edamame (if desired), and lime juice. Garnish with nori, if desired.
Recipes reprinted from THE PERFECT BLEND: 100 Blender Recipes to Energize and Revitalize Copyright © 2016 by Tess Masters Photographs copyright © 2016 by Anson Smart Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 200
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g