Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These pretty breadsticks may look complicated, but they’re not—twisting them is as easy as wringing a dishcloth, though it takes a lighter touch.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F, and coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray.
2. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in bowl. Rub butter into flour mixture with fingertips, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in buttermilk. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour, or overnight.
3. Place dough on well-floured work surface. Roll into 15×15-inch square. Brush with water, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and salt, if desired. Cut square in half, then cut each half into 15 3/4-inch thick strips.
4. Twist each strip twice, set on baking sheet and gently press ends flat to prevent twists from unrolling. Bake 15 minutes, or until edges begin to brown.
- Serving Size Makes 30 breadsticks
- Calories 85
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 9 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 176 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g