A trip to Spain inspired Kevin West to come up with these savory patties, which won 2nd place in our 2005 Reader Recipe Contest. If the burgers don’t hold together well—various brands of whole grain bread tested differently—simply process another piece of bread into crumbs, and fold it into the mixture.
- 1/2 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 3 Tbs. orange marmalade
- 3 large slices whole grain bread
- 1 15-oz. can light kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chunky-style salsa
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded manchego cheese
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 8 whole grain burger buns, split
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- To make Olive-Orange Relish: Stir together ingredients in bowl.
- To make Seville Burgers: Blend bread into crumbs in food processor. Transfer to large bowl.
- Pulse beans, salsa, green onions, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, cornstarch, salt and egg 5 times in food processor, or until blended but chunky. Add bean mixture and cheese to breadcrumbs. Shape into 8 patties.
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook patties 5 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Place burgers on bottom halves of buns. Add relish, spinach leaves and top halves of buns, and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 256
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Cholesterol Content: 37 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 800 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g