Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
A trip to Spain inspired Kevin West to come up with these savory patties, which won 2nd place in our 2005 Reader Recipe Contest. If the burgers don’t hold together well—various brands of whole grain bread tested differently—simply process another piece of bread into crumbs, and fold it into the mixture.
- To make Olive-Orange Relish: Stir together ingredients in bowl.
- To make Seville Burgers: Blend bread into crumbs in food processor. Transfer to large bowl.
- Pulse beans, salsa, green onions, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, cornstarch, salt and egg 5 times in food processor, or until blended but chunky. Add bean mixture and cheese to breadcrumbs. Shape into 8 patties.
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook patties 5 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Place burgers on bottom halves of buns. Add relish, spinach leaves and top halves of buns, and serve.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 256
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 37 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 800 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g