A Shanghai superstar, this dessert calls for the large pearl tapioca, preferably those sold at Asian markets. Depending on the brand, pearl tapioca may need presoaking before cooking, so follow package directions. Use canned fruit cocktail or any fruit of your preference.
- 3 qt. plus 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup regular pearl tapioca
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 cups chilled, canned fruit in light syrup
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract, optional
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a rolling boil, and add tapioca. Cover, and continue to cook over high heat for 30 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until translucent.
- Remove from heat, and let stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Drain tapioca, and rinse pearls to remove starch. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, and add sugar, stirring to dissolve. Add tapioca, remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes before refrigerating.
- At serving time, remove fruit and tapioca from refrigerator. Drain fruit, and combine with almond and vanilla extracts in large bowl. Add tapioca and sugar syrup, and serve in chilled bowls.
- Serving Size: SERVES 6
- Calories: 200
- Carbohydrate Content: 51 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 10 mg
- Sugar Content: 39 g