Barley and shiitake mushrooms give this casserole an earthy flavor. Seitan, carrots and Brussels sprouts are interspersed throughout the casserole, providing enough substance and variety to make the dish a meal in itself. Serve with warm rye bread.
- 1 cup quartered Brussels sprouts
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 1 cup cubed seitan
- 3 cups cooked barley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil (reserve a few sprigs for garnish)
- 1 Tbs. arrowroot
- 1 cup warm vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- to taste
- 1 cup diagonally sliced carrots
- 1 cup stemmed, sliced shiitake mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In medium bowl, combine mushrooms, carrots, Brussels sprouts, shallots, seitan, barley and basil.
- In small bowl, combine arrowroot with vegetable stock. Stir until arrowroot is dissolved and no lumps remain. Stir into vegetable mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat medium casserole with oil. Transfer vegetable mixture to casserole and smooth top. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 8 Servings
- Calories: 153
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 175 mg