Serve this luscious, low-fat mushroom gravy over Grilled Cornmeal Cakes or mashed potatoes.
- 8 small to medium dried shiitake mushrooms, rinsed well
- 2 1/4 cups boiling water
- 2 cups mushroom soaking liquid
- 2 1/2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 cups thickly sliced button mushrooms (6 1/2 oz.)
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Place shiitake mushrooms in medium bowl, and add boiling water. Cover with small plate. Set aside 30 minutes. Drain mushrooms, reserving soaking liquid.
- Remove and discard stems from shiitake mushrooms. Slice mushrooms into strips, and set aside. Place mushroom soaking liquid into measuring cup, adding water if necessary, to make 2 cups. Add soy sauce to mushroom liquid. Set aside until ready to use.
- In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 9 minutes. Add sugar, thyme, button mushrooms and reserved shiitakes, and cook, stirring occasionally, until button mushrooms are tender, about 4 minutes. Add flour, and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in reserved mushroom liquid, and cook, stirring continuously, until thickened, 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, and add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 62
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 224 mg