You can make this elegant soup a day ahead if you wish.
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1/2 small onion or 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 lb. carrots, peeled, trimmed and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tsp. light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs. white rice
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs. thick yogurt for garnish
- 1 Tbs. slivered mint leaves, optional
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes, until translucent. Add ginger and carrots, and cook, stirring, 5 minutes more. Add sugar, and cook, stirring, 1 minute more; add orange juice; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring bottom of pan with wooden spoon to deglaze. Cook until liquid reduces by about half, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth and rice, and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper, reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 30 minutes, or until carrots are very tender.
- Put mixture in food processor (or in blender in batches), and purée until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste. Heat through, garnish with dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of mint leaves and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 2 to 3
- Calories: 230
- Carbohydrate Content: 40 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 510 mg
- Sugar Content: 17 g