Skillet roasting caramelizes vegetables, bringing out all their inherent sweetness. Top your wrap with chunky salsa and soy sour cream for a rich-tasting treat.
- 12 8-inch flour tortillas
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small eggplant (about 3/4 lb.), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (see note)
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 Tbs. bottled taco sauce, mild or hot
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup low-fat soy sour cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 250F. Wrap tortillas in foil and bake until heated through, about 10 minutes. Alternatively, wrap tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave on high 30 to 60 seconds.
- Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, heat oil over high heat until almost smoking. Add eggplant, bell pepper, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in taco sauce, salt and pepper.
- To assemble, divide vegetable mixture among tortillas, using about 2 Tbs. per tortilla. Top with additional taco sauce and a dollop of sour cream if desired. Roll tortillas around filling ingredients.
- Note: Older, large eggplants might need to be salted and rinsed before cooking to remove bitterness and excess moisture. To salt eggplant, sliced eggplant and salt both sides of slices. Lay sliced on baking sheet lined with paper towels. Let slices sit 20 to 30 minutes, then rinse and pat dry. Younger, smaller eggplants usually do not require salting.
- Serving Size: Makes 12 wraps
- Calories: 102
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 15 mg