Everybody loves comfort food, and this comforting vegetarian version of Sloppy Joes makes a casual dish suitable for lunch or dinner. Because these "meat"-filled sandwiches are substantial, keep dessert light, offering a bowl of fresh fruit and lemon cookies. As for a beverage, select a full-flavored tea to complement the spicy meal.
- 4 kaiser rolls
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil, or more as needed
- 1 onion, diced
- 12 oz. crumbled soy “ground beef”
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- Dashes hot pepper sauce to taste, optional
- 4 oz. shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 475F.
- Slice rolls in half, cutting off upper third of roll to leave larger bottom section. Scoop out inner portion of each bottom section, and set tops and bottoms aside on a large baking sheet.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, sauté onion for about 5 minutes. Stir in “ground beef,” celery, mushrooms, barbecue sauce, stock and hot pepper sauce, if using. Cook over medium heat for 4 or 5 minutes, or until mixture is heated through. Remove from heat.
- Spoon equal portions of mixture into bottom sections of rolls. Sprinkle each filled roll with cheese, and spray insides of top sections of rolls with nonstick cooking spray. Set tops on baking sheet, cut side up.
- Bake tops and bottoms for about 5 minutes, or until tops brown and cheese melts and spills down sides of rolls. Remove from oven, and serve.
- Serving Size: SERVES 4
- Calories: 410
- Carbohydrate Content: 59 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 1240 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g