30 MINUTES OR LESS
Scrambled eggs as smooth and creamy as a well-crafted custard are easy to produce if you do it the French wayusing room temperature eggs cooked very slowly over low heat.
- 2 bagels, cut horizontally through center into thirds or quarters
- 1 lb. asparagus, tough ends trimmed and spears peeled
- 4 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbs. minced red onion
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Toast bagel disks lightly, remove from oven and set aside. Steam or blanch asparagus, drain thoroughly and set aside.
- Sliver 3 tablespoons butter. Beat eggs in a bowl. Melt several butter slivers in a large nonstick saucepan over very low heat. Add eggs, and stir continuously with a wooden spoon for 15 to 20 minutes, adding slivers of butter occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, and when it melts, add asparagus. Cook for 5 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- To serve, arrange asparagus spears on warm plates, top with eggs, sprinkle with red onion and serve with bagel crisps.
- Serving Size: SERVES 4
- Calories: 350
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Cholesterol Content: 455 mg
- Fat Content: 23 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 23 g
- Sodium Content: 280 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g