Heres a new twist on Moms beloved tuna noodle casserole. We lightened the cream sauce, added lots of veggies and replaced the tuna with smoked tofu, which adds richness and depth to the flavor.
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen baby peas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
- 2 1/2 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- 8 oz. farfalle pasta (bows)
- 1 3/4 cups low-fat milk
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 3 oz. sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 6 oz. smoked tofu, diced
- 3 Tbs. Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 425F. Heat 1 tsp. oil in 6-qt. Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bell pepper, and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes. Stir in frozen peas, garlic and thyme, and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes more. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out Dutch oven; fill with water, and bring to a boil. Add pasta, and cook about 4 minutes, or until just al dente. Drain and transfer to clean bowl. Drizzle with 2 tsp. olive oil, and toss to coat. Return Dutch oven to stove.
- Heat 1 1/2 cups milk in Dutch oven over medium heat until almost simmering. Whisk together remaining 1/4 cup milk with flour in small bowl, then whisk into hot milk. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, 2 minutes, or until sauce thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add pasta, bell pepper mixture and tofu, andstir to combine.
- Mix breadcrumbs with remaining 1 tsp. oil in small bowl; sprinkle over casserole. Bake uncovered, 20 minutes, or until golden. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 348
- Carbohydrate Content: 49 g
- Cholesterol Content: 20 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 537 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g