Molasses combines with canned chipotle chilies to give this salad its smoky flavor. Canned chipotle chilies packed in adobo sauce are available at Latin American markets and some supermarkets.
- 2 cups dried great Northern beans
- 1 Tbs. yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped and drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tsp. molasses
- 2 tsp. finely chopped canned chipotle chilies
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Put beans in medium bowl. Add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Let soak for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- In another medium bowl, combine mustard seeds and vinegar and let soak at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
- Drain beans. Place in heavy saucepan and add enough cold water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, about 50 minutes. Drain. Cool beans completely.
- Whisk sun-dried tomatoes, molasses, and chipotle chilies into vinegar mixture. Gradually mix in oil. Combine beans, red onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Add enough dressing to coat salad. (Salad can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
- Serving Size: 8 Servings
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Sodium Content: 8 mg