These sausages were a hit among VT’s vegan staffers, who loved the idea of homemade veggie links. They’re a snap to make in a two-layer bamboo steamer.
- 1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup cooked or canned adzuki beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 Tbs. rubbed sage (not powdered)
- 2 tsp. ground fennel
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1. Prepare bamboo steamer, and lay out 25 sheets of foil, each about 5 inches square.
2. Mash beans with fork in bowl until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients.
3. Roll walnut-sized pieces of bean mixture into small links (they need not be perfect). Wrap each link in foil, and twist both ends so it looks like Tootsie Roll.
4. Place wrapped links in steamer, cover, and steam 30 minutes. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until
ready to use. Warm gently in oven or toaster oven 8 to 10 minutes if not serving immediately.
- Serving Size: Makes 24 links
- Calories: 52
- Carbohydrate Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 63 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g