Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Smoked eggplant and lightly caramelized onions come together for a tasty spread that’s perfect on summer sandwiches. You can also serve it as a dip with whole-wheat pita chips or chunks of bread.
1. Prepare stove-top smoker with wood chips.
2. Sprinkle fine layer of salt on baking sheet. Place eggplant slices on salt, and salt eggplant tops. Let stand 15 minutes.
3. Rinse eggplant slices under cold water, and pat dry. Arrange eggplant slices on smoker rack (it’s OK if they overlap slightly). Smoke eggplant slices 25 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, leave covered, and cool to room temperature.
4. Meanwhile, heat oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook 10 minutes, or until onion is tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
5. Chop cooled eggplant to coarsely puréed texture. Transfer to bowl, and stir in onion and garlic, parsley,
lemon juice, and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately, or refrigerate up to 2 days.
- Serving Size Makes 1 1/4 cups
- Calories 33
- Carbohydrate Content 4 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 196 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g