This recipe is Chef Bryant Terry’s veg interpretation of a Southern classic: smothered pork chops.
- 1 1/2-cup servingServings
- 1 lb. seitan, cut into medallions
- 5 Tbs. arrowroot powder
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbs.)
- 2 cups Mixed Mushroom Gravy (click here for recipe)
- 2 cups straight apostrophe 'Shroom Stock (click here for recipe)
- 1 cup finely chopped green cabbage
- 2 jalapeño chiles, minced (2 Tbs.)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 Tbs. chopped parsley
1. Coat seitan pieces with arrowroot.
2. Heat 1/2 cup oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Fry half of seitan in oil 3 minutes per side.
3. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate. Discard oil, wipe out skillet, and repeat with 1/2 cup oil and remaining seitan. Discard oil.
4. Add remaining 2 Tbs. oil and onion to hot skillet. Increase heat to high, and sauté 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and sauté 10 minutes more. Add garlic, and sauté 3 minutes. Stir in Mixed Mushroom Gravy, "Shroom Stock, and seitan. Cover, and simmer 30 minutes. Add cabbage, and cook 3 minutes. Stir in jalapeños, green onions, and parsley.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 287
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 302 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g