Red hibiscus flowers are a common ingredient in ruby-hued herbal tea bags, such as Celestial Seasonings' Red Zinger.
- 1-CUP SERVINGServings
- SORREL DRINK
- 3 cups dried sorrel or red hibiscus flowers, or 5 Red Zinger tea bags
- 1 4-inch cinnamon stick
- 10 whole cloves
- 1/4 tsp. crushed allspice
- 2 3-inch pieces peeled fresh ginger
- SIMPLE SYRUP
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
1. To make Sorrel Drink: Bring all ingredients and 4 cups water to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Cool, strain, and chill.
2. To make Simple Syrup: Bring sugar and water to a boil in small saucepan. Stir to dissolve sugar, and simmer 1 minute. Cool.
3. Pour Sorrel Drink over ice. Serve with pitcher of Simple Syrup for guests to sweeten drinks to taste.
- Serving Size: Makes 1 quart
- Calories: 33
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Sugar Content: 8 g