This recipe makes about 18 cookies.
- 9 large, ripe peaches, peeled
- 2 Tbs. granulated sugar, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pecan Shortbread
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Soft Whipped Cream, optional
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- To make Southern Peaches: Slice peaches, and put slices into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle slices with sugar, salt and lemon juice. Set aside, covered, at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly butter a large baking sheet, and set aside.
- To make Pecan Shortbread: Cream butter, flour, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl, using an electric beater, until dough is smooth and creamy. Add vanilla, and beat again. Stir in pecans. Pinch off a piece of dough, and roll into a 1-inch ball. Place on cookie sheet, and press flat with tines of a fork. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake cookies until golden but not brown, for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and, while still warm, sprinkle both sides with sugar. Set aside to cool.
- To make Soft Whipped Cream: Put all ingredients into a chilled mixing bowl. Whip just until cream forms soft peaks, taking care not to overwhip. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- To serve, spoon portions of cut-up peaches on individual plates, place 2 cookies next to peaches and top with Soft Whipped Cream, if using.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 630
- Carbohydrate Content: 69 g
- Cholesterol Content: 80 mg
- Fat Content: 38 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 20 g
- Sodium Content: 250 mg
- Sugar Content: 14 g