Quick-cooking barley is available in most supermarkets. It cooks in 10 minutes, as opposed to regular pearled barley, which takes at least 40.
Menu plan: Serve this spicy salad with baked marinated tofu and a fresh tomato and cucumber salad.
- Cook lima beans according to package directions; drain and cool.
- In medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add barley and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again, pressing to remove excess moisture.
- Transfer barley to medium bowl. Add lima beans and red pepper.
- In small bowl, whisk together tomato juice, lime juice, oil, cilantro, garlic, cumin, oregano and hot sauce. Add salt to taste. Pour dressing over barley mixture and toss to blend. Serve at room temperature.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 252
- Carbohydrate Content: 41 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 88 mg