Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Full of lively flavors, this skillet meal is based on a regional egg dish known as . In the original recipe, the tortilla pieces are scrambled with eggs; this version replaces eggs with firm tofu for a hearty supper dish.
Meal plan: Microwave several sweet potatoes to serve on the side and prepare a simple salad of cherry tomatoes and arugula. Finish with a refreshing mixture of canned unsweetened pineapple chunks and peeled, diced papaya spooned over vanilla low-fat yogurt or soy yogurt if desired.
- Drain tofu and blot well with paper towels. Cut into 1/2-inch dice and set aside.
- In wide skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly golden, about 9 minutes.
- Gently stir in tofu, tortillas, tomatoes, chilies, cumin and salt. Add enough re-served tomato liquid to moisten and blend gently but thoroughly. Cover and cook 10 minutes.
- If using cheese, sprinkle evenly over tofu mixture, then cover and cook until melted, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.
- Serving Size 6 servings
- Calories 160
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 673 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g