This recipe can be frozen in individual portions and reheated in the microwave for instant meals.
- 101⁄2-oz. pkg. frozen bite-size soy “meat,” thawed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup smoky barbecue sauce
- 1 Tbs. brown mustard
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 4 whole grain soft rolls or hamburger buns, split
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- Heat griddle, grill or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- While griddle heats, chop soy “meat” into approximately 1⁄2-inch pieces. Place in bowl, along with onion, garlic, barbecue sauce, mustard, tomato paste and syrup. Set aside and let stand for 10 minutes so flavors can meld.
- Grill buns, split side down, and set aside (this takes about 2 minutes on grill, 4 minutes in skillet).
- In medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add soy “meat” and marinade. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Arrange buns on each of 6 plates, cut sides up. Spoon barbecue mixture over each bun and serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 169
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Sodium Content: 707 mg