Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This recipe can be frozen in individual portions and reheated in the microwave for instant meals.
- Heat griddle, grill or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- While griddle heats, chop soy “meat” into approximately 1⁄2-inch pieces. Place in bowl, along with onion, garlic, barbecue sauce, mustard, tomato paste and syrup. Set aside and let stand for 10 minutes so flavors can meld.
- Grill buns, split side down, and set aside (this takes about 2 minutes on grill, 4 minutes in skillet).
- In medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add soy “meat” and marinade. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Arrange buns on each of 6 plates, cut sides up. Spoon barbecue mixture over each bun and serve hot.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 169
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 707 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g