Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
You may use any soy cheese for this fondue, but different brands melt differently and some may not melt completely. Soy cheeses also come in varying flavors, so choose your preference.
- Heat oil in skillet and sauté tempeh until crisp and brown. Remove from heat and set aside. Repeat with baked tofu. Keep warm until serving time, or reheat in oven.
- Mix cornstarch into 1/4 cup wine or rice milk. Place remaining liquid in saucepan, whisk in cornstarch mixture and heat over medium. Bring to a boil, and add garlic, salt, cayenne, pepper and lemon juice. Return to a boil, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add cheese and, using generous handfuls at a time, stir into wine until cheese melts, about 6 minutes. Repeat until cheese is gone.
- Transfer cheese mixture to fondue pot or crockpot. Keep fondue warm over alcohol burner or in crockpot on lowest setting. Serve with accompaniments.
Wines with low acid, a bit of sweetness and preferably no barrel-aging are matches for mild cheeses. Kabinett or Spätlese Rieslings fit: Try Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 130
- Carbohydrate Content 8 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 1 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 390 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g