This is a very child- and teen-friendly recipe, though anyone who is a child at heart will enjoy it. Texturized soy crumbles aim to imitate ground beef, but its not so much the flavor as the texture that does the trick. Find this product marketed under the Green Giant or Morningstar Farms brand name in the frozen foods section of large supermarkets, shelved near other soy-based meat analogs.
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped ( 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 medium green or red bell pepper, finely diced ( 1/2 cup)
- 12- to 16-oz. pkg. soy crumbles
- 16-oz. can or jar natural pizza sauce
- Burger buns (preferably whole-grain)
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook until onion is golden amd pepper begins to soften, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add soy crumbles and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring often, until thoroughly heated, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in pizza sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, until hot and flavors are blended, about 3 minutes. Serve sloppy joe mixture hot on buns, open-faced or as a closed sandwich.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 192
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 611 mg