Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
If you want to give this cake a final flourish, serve it topped with peeled, sliced apples that have been sautéed in a little butter, lemon juice and cinnamon-sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 8-inch round cake pan.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and salt in mixing bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1/2 cup flour mixture for topping; set it aside.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk, vanilla and egg to remaining flour mixture in bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until blended. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle top with reserved 1/2 cup flour mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool on wire rack.
- Serving Size 8 servings
- Calories 210
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 40 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 220 mg
- Sugar Content 19 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g