Not only do these peaches look stunning in their jar, but they are also delicious served plain or topped with a raspberry sauce.
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 cups malt vinegar
- Peel and juice from 1 lemon
- 6 cloves
- 6 allspice berries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 lbs. firm peaches, peeled, halved and pitted
- In large nonreactive pan, combine sugar and vinegar over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Tie lemon peel, cloves and allspice into a square of cheesecloth. Add peaches and simmer just until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove peaches carefully with a slotted spoon and arrange in warmed sterilized jars. Boil sugar until thickened , about 10 minutes, and then pour over peaches.
- Add lemon rind, cloves and cinnamon stick to jar for decoration. When cool, seal jars. Store up to 2 months.
- Serving Size: Makes 16 servings
- Calories: 72
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 1 g