- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 tsp. finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins (optional)
- Freshly cooked rice and plain nonfat yogurt for serving
- In large dry nonstick skillet, toast cumin and mustard seeds over medium heat until fragrant, stirring often, 30 to 45 seconds.
- Add oil and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add carrot and jalapeño and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add tomatoes (with liquid) and stir 2 minutes.
- Stir in chickpeas, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until liquid is reduced by about half, 10 minutes. Add currants during last 1 minute of cooking. Serve hot over rice, with dollop of yogurt on top.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 205
- Carbohydrate Content: 35 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 769 mg