You can make this relish several days in advance because it stores well in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Serve the relish with the cashew cheese or on the side of the cheese as a separate dish.
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup red Zinfandel
- 1/4 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne or 1/2 ripe habanero chile, cut into very thin strips
- 1 Tbs. granulated sugar or 2 Tbs. brown rice syrup
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar or white wine
- Soak cranberries in wine. Set aside.
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add mustard seeds, and toast until seeds begin to pop. Remove pan from heat, and add oil, onions, garlic, ginger and cayenne.
- Return pan to heat, and sauté mixture until onions are translucent. Add sugar, salt and cranberries with soaking liquid. Cook mixture until it just boils. Reduce liquid by half. Add vinegar, remove from heat and cool completely.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 80
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 75 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g