For exclusive access to all our stories, including sequences, teacher tips, video classes, and more, join Outside+ today.
Gochugaru, a Korean red pepper powder with a distinctly sweet heat, is used to season this braised tofu dish. It’s worth seeking out and having in your spice pantry, but if you can’t find it, you can substitute red pepper flakes.
1. To make Tofu: Heat sesame oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add tofu, and cook 7 to 9 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together soy sauce, gochugaru, maple syrup, vinegar, and 3 Tbs. water in small bowl. Stir in green onions and garlic.
3. Pour sauce around tofu, reduce heat to medium-low, cover skillet, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until most of sauce is absorbed. Flip tofu halfway through cooking.
4. To make Pear Slaw: toss pear matchsticks with vinegar and sesame seeds.
5. Arrange 2 Tofu rectangles on each of 4 plates, and top each with Pear Slaw.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 166
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 405 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g