Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Turnip greens have a peppery bite when raw and develop a slightly smoky taste when cooked. The spiciness of this dish depends on the type of sausage you choose—for a
milder stew, substitute Italian-style vegetarian sausage for chipotle-style. Other tasty greens to try in this recipe include curly kale, mustard greens, or collard greens.
1. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage slices, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until browned, turning often. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate, and set aside.
2. Heat remaining 2 Tbs. oil in same pot over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers, and sauté 7 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and mushrooms begin to brown. Add collard greens, potatoes, and 2 cups water, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook 20 to 25 minutes, or until collard greens are soft and potatoes are cooked through.
3. Stir in sausage, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until heated through. Serve over rice.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 140
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 146 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g