30 minutes or fewer
Ale adds a subtle richness to this updated version of the classic chili hash. Mound the Sloppy Joe filling on soft sandwich rolls (try our Wheat Beer and Potato Rolls, next page) and top with sliced avocados and shredded lettuce. This recipe easily doubles for a party.
- 2/3-CUP SLOPPY JOE MIXTUREServings
- 3 Tbs. canola oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 lb. soy crumbles
- 3 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 1/4 cups pale ale or brown ale, room temperature
- 3/4 cup low-sodium bottled chili sauce
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions
- Warm oil in large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and green pepper, and sauté, stirring frequently, 5 minutes.
- Stir in soy crumbles and chili powder. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add jalapeños, ale, chili sauce and soy sauce; mix well. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring often, about 15 minutes, until thickened.
- Mix in green onions; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 285
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 828 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g