You can use almost any combination of vegetables in these wraps. When you have all the elements ready, set the ingredients out on individual platters and let diners make their own. If you can’t find rice paper wrappers, which add a nice chewy texture, roll the ingredients in lettuce leaves.
Meal plan: These wraps are great with a simple cold noodle salad (use linguine or soba noodles) tossed with a store-bought Thai peanut dressing and some chopped red bell pepper.
- 1 medium sweet potato (5 oz.)
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. firm tofu, well-drained and cut into 3- x 1⁄2-inch strips
- 12 rice paper triangles (optional)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, seeded and cut into long, thin diagonal pieces
- Chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, cilantro or mint leaves
- 1 large head Boston lettuce, separated into leaves (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbs. chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- Make dipping sauce: In small saucepan, combine hoisin sauce, oil and 1⁄3 cup water. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in peanuts. Pour into small serving bowl and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, place sweet potato and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and simmer until just fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool slightly and cut in half lengthwise. Peel and cut into 12 lengthwise sticks (like fat french fries). Set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu sticks in batches if necessary, and cook until golden, turning on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- If using triangle wrappers, brush well with water and arrange, overlapping, on large plate; they soften after they stand a few minutes. Place remaining ingredients on individual plates.
- To make individual rolls, place softened triangle on work surface, pointed end toward you. Arrange 1 piece each of tofu and sweet potato vertically in center. Top with a few pieces of cucumber and some chopped herbs. Roll up from one side. If desired, distribute some bean sprouts on 1 lettuce leaf. Place wrap on top and roll lettuce around. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve with dipping sauce.
- Serving Size: 6 sevings
- Calories: 146
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 34 mg