Nourishing and tasty, this pie easily freezes so you can enjoy leftovers for days.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Blanch the spinach in a saucepan of boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain and squeeze to get rid of excess water. Chop finely, and put in a mixing bowl with cottage cheese, yogurt, egg, oil, water, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
3. Lay a phyllo sheet in the base of a 7-by-7-inch square baking pan, leaving the excess pastry hanging over one side of the pan. Brush with oil. Lay another sheet on top so that the
overhang is on the opposite side of the pan. Spread a generous tablespoon of spinach mixture over the phyllo. Lay another 2 sheets over the filling, and scrunch up the excess pastry to fit the pan. Brush with oil. Spread another generous tablespoon of spinach mixture over the phyllo sheets. Lay another 2 sheets over the filling and scrunch up the excess pastry to fit the pan. Brush with oil. Keep going until you’ve used up the spinach mixture. You should end with a layer of filling.
4. Finally, fold over the overhanging bottom pastry to cover the top of the pie, and brush with more oil. If the top isn’t entirely covered with pastry, add another sheet, and brush with oil.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes until deep golden brown. Remove from oven, and let cool for a few minutes. It freezes well; just defrost and warm in the oven before serving.
Recipe printed with permission from Home-Grown Harvest.
- Calories 0
- Carbohydrate Content 0 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g