These spicy burgers rise above the pre-packaged, frozen variety.
Meal Plan: Serve burgers with a simple salad of shredded romaine lettuce, minced parsley and a drizzle of olive oil and fresh lemon juice.
- 15-oz. can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup packed chopped fresh spinach
- 2 scallions (white and light green parts), sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. tahini
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 to 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 pita pockets
- 8 pepperoncini peppers, drained and sliced, discard stems and seeds
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- In food processor, combine garbanzo beans, spinach, scallions, garlic and flour. Pulse on/off several times to blend well. Add salt and pepper to taste and process briefly. Shape mixture into 4 patties about 1/2 inch thick.
- In small bowl, mix tahini, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons water, cumin and salt to taste. Set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add burgers and cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side, adding a little more oil if necessary.
- Cut pita breads in half. Cut burgers in half and place in pita breads. Spoon pepperoncini, tomatoes and cucumbers over burgers and drizzle with reserved tahini sauce.
- Serving Size: 4 Servings
- Calories: 405
- Carbohydrate Content: 67 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 344 mg