This is a savory, supper-worthy sandwich.
- 8 oz. portobello mushroom caps (about 4 medium), stemmed
- 2 Tbs. pine nuts
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 green onions (white and pale green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1/2 lb. fresh spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 4 slices country bread, 1/2-inch thick, lightly toasted
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wipe tops of mushroom caps. Using spoon, remove gills from inside caps, and discard. Cut caps in quarters, and thinly slice.
- Toast pine nuts in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until golden and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer pine nuts to bowl.
- Heat 1/2 Tbs. oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and green onions, and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms begin to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer mushroom mixture to large bowl.
- Add remaining 1/2 Tbs. oil to skillet, and heat over medium-high heat. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, 15 seconds. Add spinach, and toss until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and add to mushroom mixture; toss to combine. Stir in pine nuts.
- Arrange bread slices on baking sheet; top with spinach-mushroom mixture, dividing equally, and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake 5 minutes, or until cheese melts. Serve sandwiches warm.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 240
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 330 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g