- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese (4 oz.)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 batch Push-Button Pizza Dough (August '00, p. 42)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil, plus more as needed
- 2 to 3 cups halved, thinly sliced onions
- 8 oz. baby spinach leaves, rinsed well (4 to 5 packed cups)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- Prepare pizza dough as directed. (August '00, p. 42)
- While dough is rising, in large, nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 8 minutes. Stir in spinach, sprinkle lightly with salt, cover and cook just until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and vinegar, cover and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare grill, leaving one side unlit. Lightly oil 2 baking sheets. Gently punch down dough, divide in half and knead each half into a ball. Place dough balls on lightly floured surface, cover with plastic wrap and let rest 8 minutes. Using rolling pin, roll each ball into 9-inch circle, about 1/4 inch (scant) thick. Transfer to prepared baking sheets and lightly brush entire
- surface with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes.
- Carefully lift each dough circle off baking sheet and place on hot side of grill. Cook undisturbed 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, so bottom has a chance to set; top of dough will bubble.
- Using large spatula, flip dough over onto same hot side of grill and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Slide crusts to cooler area of grill. Evenly spread spinach mixture over crusts; season with freshly ground pepper to taste. Sprinkle with walnuts and provolone. Close grill and cook, periodically moving pizzas around to keep charring to a minimum, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer pizzas to cutting board, dust with Parmesan if desired, slice and serve.
- Serving Size: Makes 8 slices
- Calories: 222
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 682 mg