- 19-oz. can chickpeas, drained
- 10-oz. pkg. fresh spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. saffron
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups chopped, drained canned tomatoes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 cups day-old bread cubes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Lightly coat bottom of large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat pan until hot. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add bread cubes and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Pour broth into large pot and heat over medium heat. Put half the bread mixture and 1/2 cup tomatoes into food processor or blender and process until coarsely ground. Scrape mixture into pot with broth and repeat with remaining bread and an additional 1/2 cup tomatoes.
- Add remaining tomatoes, chickpeas, spinach, saffron, salt and pepper to pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 10 minutes. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 8 Servings
- Calories: 177
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 115 mg