Canned artichoke bottoms make this a quick-and-easy spring appetizer. The artichoke bottoms can be prepared a day ahead and baked just before serving.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 large leek, white and pale green part finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 cup reduced-fat crumbled feta cheese
- 2 14-oz. cans artichoke bottoms, rinsed and drained, or 8 steamed fresh artichoke bottoms
- 2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs. dried oregano
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add leek, and sauté 5 minutes, or until translucent and soft. Stir in spinach and garlic, and cook 3 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat, and stir in feta until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Cool 10 minutes, or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray, and place artichoke bottoms on baking sheet. Fill each artichoke bottom with spinach mixture (amount will depend on size of artichoke bottoms), and top with tomato slice. Sprinkle each tomato slice with salt, pepper, and oregano, then with breadcrumbs. Drizzle with remaining olive oil. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are browned and crispy.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 138
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Cholesterol Content: 6 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 479 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g