Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This easy-to-make Mediterranean-style spinach pie is equally good served hot or at room temperature. It’s laced with vision protectors from the spinach and the cancer fighters in cooked tomatoes. You can also substitute a package of frozen chopped broccoli for the spinach, and use a premade pie crust for the pizza crust.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- Shape dough into 4-inch circle; cover with kitchen towel; let stand 5 minutes. Roll into 11-inch circle on lightly floured surface. Fit into pie plate, and flute rim.
- Mix spinach, sour cream and shallots in mixing bowl. In separate bowl, whisk together milk, salt, pepper, egg whites and egg. Stir 1?3 cup milk mixture into spinach mixture. Spoon spinach mixture into bottom of prepared crust. Add layer of tomatoes, and top with cheese. Pour remaining milk mixture over cheese. Place pie plate on baking sheet.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 230
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 45 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 590 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g