Simple boiled eggs, always a happy companion to truffles, are elevated in this preparation.
- To make Croutons: Warm olive oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bread cubes, and toast them, tossing often, until crisp and nicely browned, about 6 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To make Dressing: Place mayonnaise, lemon juice, olive oil, dill, truffle oil if using, salt and pepper into blender or food processor, and process until dill is finely chopped. Set aside.
- To prepare Salad: Steam or blanch asparagus until tender, 30 seconds to 2 minutes, depending on thickness. Drain, and refresh under cold water. Set aside. Layer salad ingredients in 2-quart glass bowl. Start with 1 cup tomatoes, then in order add eggs, capers, scallions and cubed cheese. Top with remaining tomatoes and asparagus.
- To serve, drizzle with dressing, and sprinkle top with croutons.
This layered salad is an interesting combination of bright, acidic foods and protein-rich, fatty foods. Try pairing it with one of the inexpensive Cavas from Spain such as Freixenet or Segura Viudas.
- Serving Size SERVES 4
- Calories 420
- Carbohydrate Content 29 g
- Cholesterol Content 270 mg
- Fat Content 26 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 890 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g